With operations all over the world, Chevron values the rich diversity of ideas, experience and skills our employees bring to the company.
We express our belief in the value of diversity through principles, practices and accountability. This begins with The Chevron Way, which states:
“We learn from and respect the cultures in which we work. We value and demonstrate respect for the uniqueness of individuals and the varied perspectives and talents they provide. We have an inclusive work environment and actively embrace a diversity of people, ideas, talents and experiences.”
Our principles endorse a spirit of inclusion and foster an environment in which everyone can reach his or her full potential. We are committed to being recognized as a global leader that backs its words with accountability and quantifiable results.
Each day, we run our business in a way that respects our employees and the world community. Among our many achievements are the following:
- Chevron was the first major integrated energy company to include sexual orientation in its nondiscriminatory policies and offer domestic partner benefits to our employees.
- Chevron achieved a perfect score on the Corporate Equality Index by the Human Rights Campaign and was recognized as one of the Best Places to Work for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Equality. The Corporate Equality Index rates nearly 600 businesses on their policies, practices and diversity efforts relating to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender employees, consumers and investors.
- In 2012, the Women's Business Enterprise National Council honored Chevron as a top corporation for providing opportunities to women entrepreneurs.
- Chevron received the 2012 National Society of Black Engineers' Corporate Diversity Leadership Award for demonstrating outstanding efforts to create an environment to attract, retain and support minority technical professionals.
- Chevron provided awareness training in Makita, Philippines, to focus on why maintaining a diverse and inclusive work environment is good for business.
- In 2012, Chevron received the Diversity Leader Award from the Profiles in Diversity Journal for communicating the company's commitment to diversity and for sharing diversity best practices.
Within Chevron, we support employees interested in reaching out to others. In 2012, more than 25,000 employees were members of our employee networks and affinity groups. These groups focus on mentoring, employee development, recruitment, community outreach and cultural awareness. Across the corporation, we provide counsel, consulting support and resources to operating companies, business units and management teams to encourage consistent application of corporate diversity strategies and objectives.
Chevron does business with a broad spectrum of companies. Chevron's Supplier Diversity/Small Business program works with small, minority- and women-owned businesses to develop innovative, cost-effective ways to supply goods and services.
Chevron's University Partnership Program provides scholarships, grants and departmental gifts to key universities around the world. Chevron has invested millions of dollars in programs that promote minority education in disciplines that are critical to our energy future.
Updated: April 2013