Operational Excellence (OE) requires constant attention to countless details and how our work is performed. Chevron's OE safety culture is based on 10 Tenets of Operation, a code of conduct that employees and contractors use and that supervisors and managers reinforce. The tenets are based on two key principles:
- Do it safely or not at all.
- There is always time to do it right.
The tenets address a wide range of behaviors. The key word in the tenets is Always.
- Always operate within design and environmental limits.
- Always operate in a safe and controlled condition.
- Always ensure safety devices are in place and functioning.
- Always follow safe work practices and procedures.
- Always meet or exceed customers' requirements.
- Always maintain integrity of dedicated systems.
- Always comply with all applicable rules and regulations.
- Always address abnormal conditions.
- Always follow written procedures for high-risk or unusual situations.
- Always involve the right people in decisions that affect procedures and equipment.
Updated: March 2012