SAN RAMON, Calif., January 22, 2013 – Chevron Corporation (NYSE:CVX) announced that its subsidiary, Chevron Morocco Exploration Ltd, signed petroleum agreements with Morocco's Office National Des Hydrocarbures Et Des Mines for three offshore areas.
"We look forward to participating in exploration activities in Morocco, which provides Chevron an opportunity to advance our growth strategy in frontier basins," said George Kirkland, vice chairman, Chevron Corporation.
Once awarded, Chevron will acquire seismic data and conduct studies in deepwater areas known as Cap Rhir Deep, Cap Cantin Deep and Cap Walidia Deep located between 60 and 120 miles (100 to 200 kilometers) west and northwest of Agadir, Morocco. The areas encompass approximately 11,300 square miles (29,200 square kilometers) with average water depths ranging from between 330 feet to 14,700 feet (100 meters to 4500 meters).
Ali Moshiri, president, Chevron Africa and Latin America Exploration and Production Company, said, "This is an opportunity for Chevron to expand its already strong presence in the region and allows us to acquire further knowledge about promising geology in an emerging area."
Chevron Morocco Exploration Ltd has a 75 percent working interest in the three areas, with the Office National Des Hydrocarbures Et Des Mines holding the remaining 25 percent.
Chevron is one of the world's leading integrated energy companies, with subsidiaries that conduct business worldwide. The company is involved in virtually every facet of the energy industry. Chevron explores for, produces and transports crude oil and natural gas; refines, markets and distributes transportation fuels and lubricants; manufactures and sells petrochemical products; generates power and produces geothermal energy; provides energy efficiency solutions; and develops the energy resources of the future, including biofuels. Chevron is based in San Ramon, Calif. More information about Chevron is available at www.chevron.com.
CAUTIONARY STATEMENT RELEVANT TO FORWARD-LOOKING INFORMATION FOR THE PURPOSE OF "SAFE HARBOR" PROVISIONS OF THE PRIVATE SECURITIES LITIGATION REFORM ACT OF 1995.
Some of the items discussed in this press release are forward-looking statements about Chevron's activities in Morocco. Words such as "anticipates," "expects," "intends," "plans," "targets," "forecasts," "projects," "believes," "seeks," "schedules," "estimates," "budgets," "outlook" and similar expressions are intended to identify such forward-looking statements. The statements are based upon management's current expectations, estimates and projections; are not guarantees of future performance; and are subject to certain risks, uncertainties and other factors, some of which are beyond the company's control and are difficult to predict. Among the important factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from those in the forward-looking statements are changes in prices of, demand for and supply of crude oil and natural gas; actions of competitors; the inability or failure of the company's joint-venture partners to fund their share of operations and development activities; the potential failure to achieve expected net production from existing and future crude oil and natural gas development projects; potential delays in the development, construction or start-up of planned projects; the potential disruption or interruption of the company's net production or manufacturing facilities or delivery/transportation networks due to war, accidents, political events, civil unrest, or severe weather; government-mandated sales, divestitures, recapitalizations, industry-specific taxes and changes in fiscal terms or restrictions on scope of company operations; foreign currency movements compared with the U.S. dollar; and general economic and political conditions. The reader should not place undue reliance on these forward-looking statements, which speak only as of the date of this press release. Unless legally required, Chevron undertakes no obligation to update publicly any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.