Our Story in Angola
Chevron has been in this African nation since the 1930s, when Texaco® products were first marketed in Angola.
In 1958, Cabinda Gulf Oil Company Limited, Chevron’s wholly owned subsidiary in Angola, drilled its first onshore well. In 1966, its first offshore discovery led to delineation of the Malongo Field. The Takula Field was discovered in 1971. In 1975, oil was found in Block 2 of the Essungo Field.
In 1986, additional exploration by Chevron coincided with the delineation of Angola’s Block 0. To maintain optimal pressure during production, we began using water-injection technology at the Takula Field in 1990.
In 1997, Chevron announced the discovery of the Kuito Field, the first of a series of major oil finds in the Block 14 concession. Two years later, Kuito became Angola’s first producing deepwater field. In 2000, Texaco began engineering work on Angola’s first liquefied natural gas project.
In 2012, Chevron reached an impressive milestone in Angola: 4 billion barrels produced from Block 0, offshore Cabinda. More than a quarter of those barrels came from the Takula Field.
Recognition for Our Work
In 2012, the Portuguese-language business magazine Exame named Chevron the Best Company in Angola for Excellence in Sustainability and Corporate Responsibility Programs.
In 2010, the Angolan Ministry of Environment presented Chevron’s Cabinda Gulf Oil Co. with the Palanca Award for our contribution to the environment in Angola. Each year, the Palanca Award recognizes the efforts of those who strive to preserve the environment and use sustainable development principles.
In 2009, Offshore magazine selected Tombua-Landana as one of the five most notable projects in the world. That year, the $3.8 billion project began production. The deepwater project includes 46 wells and has the fourth-highest compliant, or flexible, tower in the world. Considered a reference publication for the energy and gas industry, Offshore awarded the same distinction to another Chevron project in Angola, the Benguela Belize–Lobito Tomboco project in 2005.
Updated: March 2015