california supplemental privacy statement
effective date: December 31, 2019
If you are a California resident, you have rights under the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (CCPA). This California Supplemental Privacy Statement:
- supplements the information provided about our collection, use, and sharing of personal information collected through Chevron websites and apps in the Chevron Privacy Statement and in site-specific or app-specific privacy statements for specific Chevron websites or apps.
- provides information more generally about our collection, use, and sharing of personal data related to California residents whether that data is generated through online channels (for example, through consumer use of Chevron websites and apps) or offline channels (for example, consumer transaction data collected during retail purchases of gasoline at Chevron-branded stations); and
- provides instructions on how to exercise the rights granted to California residents under the CCPA.
data collection and use
We may collect your personal information as an individual for various purposes, including the purposes described below and as further described (with respect to information collected through Chevron websites) in the Chevron Privacy Statement.
Responding to your request for information, order, or support: When you contact us (online or offline) in connection with a request for information, to order a product or service, to make a purchase, or to provide you with support, we collect information necessary to fulfill your request, to grant you access to the product or service, to provide you with support and to be able to contact you. For instance, we may collect your name and contact information, payment and partner rewards program account number and/or rewards eligibility information, and details about the fulfillment delivery and invoicing of your order, and we may include client satisfaction survey information. We may retain such information for administrative purposes, to defend our rights, and to manage our relationship with you.
Administering websites or other online service: When entering one of our websites, or using an online service, we will record information necessary to provide you with access, for the operation of the website and for us to comply with security and legal requirements in relation to operating our site, such as passwords, IP address and browser settings. We also collect information about your activities during your visit in order to personalize your website experience, such as recording your preferences and settings, and to collect statistics to help us improve and further develop our websites, products and services. More information about out use of personal data in connection with online marketing activities can be found in the Chevron Privacy Statement.
Marketing: When you register for an event, we may collect information (online or offline) in relation to the event organization, and during an event, such as participation in sessions and survey results. We may combine the personal information we collect to develop aggregate analysis and business intelligence for conducting our business and for marketing purposes. When visiting our websites or using our services we may provide you with personalized information. More information about out use of personal data in connection with online marketing activities can be found in the Chevron Privacy Statement.
Contacting employees of our clients, prospects, partners and suppliers: In our relationship with clients or prospects, partners and suppliers, they also provide us with business contact information (such as name, business contact details, position or title of their employees, contractors, advisors and authorized users) for purposes such as contract management, fulfillment, delivery of products and services, provision of support, invoicing and management of the services or the relationship.
Managing site visits and securing persons and property: We register individuals visiting our sites and locations (name, identification and business contact information) and use camera supervision for reasons of security and safety of persons and belongings, as well as for regulatory purposes.
The specific kinds of personal data that we may collect regarding California residents (through our websites, apps, and/or other channels, such as our retail network and partners) for the above purposes may include:
- contact details, such as your name, title, company/organization name, email address, telephone and fax numbers, and physical address
- biographical, demographic, and professional information (such as date of birth, age, gender, job title/position, marital status and dependent, spousal and other family information)
- information regarding your nationality and country of residence that allows us to determine your eligibility under export control regulations to receive information about certain technologies
- financial information, including credit card numbers, bank or customer account information and, in connection with credit requests, Social Security Number or other national/tax identification number
- rewards program participation, rewards eligibility, and/or rewards account number information
- information used to create your online accounts (such as username, password and security question and answer)
- identifiers such as IP address and cookies
- inferences about your consumer preferences
- location data (such as the site, time, and date of purchases or data derived from your IP address, country and zip code) and the precise geolocation of your mobile device where we have provided notice and choice, as appropriate
- commercial information (such as your purchase and customer service history)
- your inquiries about and orders for our products and services, as well as information that assists us in identifying the best products and services for you
- contest entry and event registration information
- your preferences with respect to email marketing
- contact information you provide about friends or other people you would like us to contact
- feedback from you about our products and services, including feedback you provide to us through our websites and apps.
As explained above and in the Chevron Privacy Statement, we may collect personal information directly from you, automatically from your device, from selected partners and/or from your employer.
Across the circumstances described above, we may use the personal information we obtain to:
- operate, evaluate and improve our business (such as by administering, enhancing and improving our products and services; developing new products, services, websites, and apps; managing our communications and customer relationships; and performing accounting, auditing, billing, reconciliation and collection activities);
- verify your identity and protect against and prevent fraud and other unlawful activity, unauthorized transactions, claims and other liabilities, and manage risk exposure and quality;
- maintain and enhance the safety and security of our products, services, websites, apps, network services, information resources and employees.
Further, in connection with our processing, defense, or pursuit of legal and/or insurance claims involving California residents, we may obtain government-issued ID numbers and Tax ID numbers, such as US Social Security numbers.
We may share information about you with our subsidiaries, affiliates, joint venture partners, suppliers, and, where appropriate, with selected partners to help us provide you, or the company you work for, products or services, to facilitate transactions, or to fulfill your requests.
As explained (with respect to information collected through Chevron websites) in the Chevron Privacy Statement, we may also disclose your personal information that we collect to others as described below, or otherwise, where we have your consent.
Disclosure to service providers. Chevron contracts with other companies to provide services on our behalf, such as hosting websites, sending out information, processing transactions, and analyzing our websites. We provide these companies with only those elements of personal data they need to deliver those services. These companies and their employees are prohibited from using those personal data for any other purposes.
Disclosure in connection with transactions. In connection with certain transactions, we may disclose some or all of the personal data you provide to financial institutions, government entities and shipping companies or postal services involved in fulfilling the transaction.
Disclosures in connection with acquisitions or divestitures. Circumstances may arise where for strategic or other business reasons Chevron decides to sell, buy, merge or otherwise reorganize particular businesses. Such a transaction may involve the disclosure of personal data to prospective or actual purchasers or receiving it from sellers. Although it is Chevron's practice to seek protection for information in these types of transactions, we cannot guarantee that any entity receiving such data from Chevron in connection with one of these transactions will comply with all of the terms of this privacy statement.
Disclosure on collaborative websites. Some of our websites promote collaboration among registered users with respect to a particular area or topic. On those websites, we may share your username with other participants to label comments or suggestions that you make as yours. We do not, however, share your name, contact details, or other personal data with other users of those collaborative websites.
Disclosure for other reasons. We may disclose personal data if required to do so by law or in the good-faith belief that such action is necessary to comply with legal requirements or with legal process served on us, to protect and defend our rights or property, or in urgent circumstances to protect the personal safety of any individual.
In addition to the rights granted under the Chevron Privacy Statement, as a California resident, you have the right to:
Know your Personal Information: You can request specific pieces of Personal Information, or information about the categories of Personal Information that Chevron holds about you by submitting a request through our webform here or by calling (toll free) +1 844 338 3905.
Request Deletion of your Personal Information: You can request the deletion of the Personal Information that Chevron holds about you by submitting a request through our webform here or by calling (toll free) +1 844 338 3905.
Opt-Out of the Sale of Personal Information: We do not sell your personal data. So, we do not offer an opt-out to the sale of personal data.
Non-discrimination: If you choose to exercise any of these rights, we will not deny goods or services to you or provide different quality of services.
how to contact us
If you have questions regarding this privacy statement or our handling of personal data, please contact us by email, or by mail at:
Attn. Global Privacy Office
6001 Bollinger Canyon Rd.
San Ramon, CA 94583
changes to this privacy statement
Chevron may occasionally update this privacy statement. When we do, we will revise the "effective" date at the top of the privacy statement. You should revisit this page periodically to become aware of the most recent privacy terms; your use of the site after such changes have been posted constitutes your agreement to such changes.