Chevron Press Release - Chevron Tanker Renamed The Raymond E. Galvin
SAN FRANCISCO, Oct. 4, 1996 -- In a ceremony held today at Jurong Shipyard Limited in Singapore, the CHEVRON PACIFIC was renamed the RAYMOND E. GALVIN. Mrs. Dorothy Galvin sponsored the naming in honor of her husband, who has been a member of the Chevron board of directors since 1995. Chevron has a tradition of recognizing its directors by naming tankers after them.
The RAYMOND E. GALVIN is a 35,000-deadweight-ton motor tanker built by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Ltd., at Kobe Shipyard & Engine Works. It was delivered to Chevron in 1983 and after the naming ceremony will continue trading clean products between the U.S. West Coast and the Far East. The RAYMOND E. GALVIN can carry up to 275,000 barrels of cargo in 13 cargo tanks with permanent, protectively located side and fore-peak water ballast tanks.
Galvin, who was present with his wife at the naming ceremony, is a native of Texas and graduated in 1953 from Texas A&M in petroleum engineering. Upon implementation of the Chevron/Gulf merger in 1985, he became a senior vice president of Chevron U.S.A. Inc., and became president of Chevron U.S.A. Production Co. in 1992. He also holds positions in numerous industry organizations and civic groups.
Updated: October 1996