Eagles For Education to Boost Education Nonprofit Benefits
THOUSAND OAKS, Calif., Dec. 2, 2010 – As the Chevron World Challenge professional golf tournament kicks off today, Chevron announced the start of a new program that further benefits the tournament's education-focused nonprofit partners.
To encourage friendly competition, as well as to increase the benefit to the tournament's nonprofit sponsors, Chevron will donate $15,000 to the tournament's nonprofit partners for every eagle scored during tournament play.
With the world-class field in this year's tournament, competition is expected to be fierce with the possibility of low scores and plenty of birdies and eagles. Thousands of students will benefit from this thrilling match play, as the five nonprofit beneficiaries see their donations climb as the pros battle on the course.
Daily updates on the number of eagles scored and amount Chevron will donate can be found at:
About the Chevron World Challenge Nonprofit Partners
The 2010 Chevron World Challenge nonprofit partners include DonorsChoose.org, Project Lead the Way, Teach For America, TELACU Education Foundation and the Tiger Woods Foundation. Supporting the belief that there is no single solution to improving education in California, the Chevron World Challenge nonprofit partnerships reflect a variety of educational approaches:
- DonorsChoose.org uses the power of the Internet to direct millions of dollars in contributions from individuals to fund classroom projects across the country.
- Project Lead the Way engages students in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) fields through its rigorous, hands-on curriculum that fosters in students a love of learning and a passion for solving our world's challenges.
- Teach For America is the national corps of top college graduates and professionals who commit to teach for two years in urban and rural public school and become lifelong leaders in the effort to expand educational opportunity.
- TELACU Education Foundation prepares Latino students for academic success in underserved communities throughout Los Angeles County.
- Tiger Woods Foundation is a global organization focused on reaching young people through innovative education facilities, original curricula, grants and college scholarships.
About the Chevron World Challenge
The Chevron World Challenge celebrates its 12th year by once again bringing golf's finest stars to southern California Dec. 1-5, 2010. The tournament is a PGA TOUR co-sponsored event and is part of the Official World Golf Ranking. The tournament is played at Sherwood Country Club in Thousand Oaks, Calif. The 72-hole, regulation-play event features an elite field of 18 PGA Tour players competing for a $5 million purse. For additional tournament information please visit www.chevronworldchallenge.com.
Chevron is one of the world's leading integrated energy companies, with subsidiaries that conduct business worldwide. The company's success is driven by the ingenuity and commitment of its employees and their application of the most innovative technologies in the world. Chevron is involved in virtually every facet of the energy industry. The company explores for, produces and transports crude oil and natural gas; refines, markets and distributes transportation fuels and other energy products; manufactures and sells petrochemical products; generates power and produces geothermal energy; provides energy efficiency solutions; and develops the energy resources of the future, including biofuels. Chevron is based in San Ramon, Calif. More information about Chevron is available at www.chevron.com.
Published: December 2010