Scooby-Doo and the Great Pumpkin deliver 3-tons of sticky fun
WILMINGTON, Calif., Oct. 28, 1996 -- Scooby-Doo and the Great Pumpkin will deliver 3-tons of "Scooby Snacks" caramel corn to an estimated 20,000 trick-or-treaters this week. Unocal and Hanna-Barbera are bringing together America's favorite canine detective and the world's largest jack-o-lantern. This celebrates Unocal's 45th four-night Halloween party in Wilmington.
The Great Pumpkin is a 3,360,000 gallon storage tank painted with the face of a huge jack-o-lantern. This neighborhood tradition has been entertaining generations of trick-or-treaters every Halloween since 1952. When illuminated, the Great Pumpkin can be seen from miles away, creating an eerie Halloween skyline. This year, Scooby-Doo will be lending a paw to help dish out a truck-load of treats.
"We hope to offer a fun alternative that is safer than trick-or-treating," said Larry Ziemba, Unocal refinery manager. "Families can do this together, each year thousands show up in their costumes."
The Great Pumpkin and Scooby-Doo have extended an invitation to all their neighbors to come visit them October 28th through the 31st between the hours of 6:00 PM and 9:00 PM.
The Unocal refinery is located in Wilmington at 1660 West Anaheim Street between the Harbor Freeway and Gaffey Street.
- Great backdrop for TV weather reports, TV helicopter flyovers, Halloween segments, morning show features, print photo opportunities, live radio broadcasts, etc.
- The World's Largest Jack-O-Lantern.
- A 3,360,000 gallon storage tank that glows in the dark full of Halloween Spirit!
- The World's Largest Scooby. He walks, he talks, he howls in the night!
- 20,000 trick-or-treaters over four nights dressed in their spooky Halloween costumes!
Scooby-Doo (C) is a copyright of Hanna-Barbera Cartoons, Inc.
Updated: October 1996