StreetSmart 76 offers summer driving tips; Unocal 76 program focuses on safety issues
COSTA MESA, Calif., May 24, 1996 -- As California gears up for summer, millions of drivers will hit the road for ball games, barbecues, beach parties and other traditional rites of the season. With this in mind, Unocal 76 has developed StreetSmart 76, a safety and alcohol awareness program designed to improve conditions on the road and increase motorists' awareness of the dangers of drinking and driving. As part of StreetSmart 76, Unocal 76 will ask drivers to sign a pledge not to drink and drive. These drivers will receive a StreetSmart 76 antenna ball. Unocal 76 will also distribute brochures with the following safety tips:
- Keep in mind that you may feel the effects of alcohol more quickly on a hot day.
- If you're enjoying yourself at the ball park, remember that stadium cups may contain more beer than you're used to drinking. It's probably safer to designate a driver.
- If you're hosting a party, plan ahead to get your friends home safely.
- Before setting out on a trip, make sure that your car is properly serviced and your spare tire is usable.
- If you feel tired, stop the car for a while. Remember that it is worthwhile to take a break from driving every few hours to recharge your batteries.
- Consider investing in a cellular phone, or borrow one from a friend for your trip.
- Always have emergency items in your car, especially water and flashlights.
Unocal 76 also has made a "StreetSmart 76" commitment to go the extra mile to keep the company's convenience stores secure for customers. For more StreetSmart 76 tips on staying safe this summer, write to StreetSmart 76, P.O. Box 25376, Santa Ana, California, 92799-5376.
Updated: May 1996